Dragon Age


Dragon Age Inquisition


Surprisingly I did not hate this game as much as I thought I would. In fact, for the most part, I enjoyed it.  I have been shying away from 3rd person games lately, apparently I'm an adrenaline junkie, at least it terms of video games and I have been finding them rather boring.  But like I said I actually enjoyed playing the 10ish hours or so that I was able to put into the game before my month membership ran out on EA access, so here are my thoughts.

Bads:

1) I hate reading in video games.  It takes a god awful amount of time, is usually boring, and is usually quick to irritate my eyes.  Dragon Age has a ton of reading, be it notes on tables, books to learn about the realm, recipes, etc.  I just loath having to spend hours reading content in games.

2) It is a bit slow in terms of action, which I have found most 3rd person games are, but evading while shooting (played as a female, human, archer) didn't exist.

3) I also wasn't a fan of the open map concept.  Specifically in the areas where you should be of a higher level before entering.  Like where dragons maybe and you are only a level 4. Who new I would take the most direct route to probably the worst place on the map.

4) Equipping the appropriate weapons for characters was a huge pain in the ass as well.  Oh I picked up a sword.  Now I have to search through my characters to see which one can actually use it.  How about you separate the items to only be on the specific characters to start with.  It just adds more reading otherwise.

5)  There are a lot of dynamics to the game, and they don't seem fleshed out enough.  Like I said I played for about 10 hours on this game and by the time I was done, I still didn't know how to use a recipe, I didn't really know what I was doing with maps, didn't know how I should have been upgrading my characters, and why there was an area to change my party.  Maybe I get more characters later, but that hadn't happened yet.  This could also be due to my lack of playing these types of games in the past.

Goods:

1) It was enjoyable.  It was relaxing, I thought the side missions where fun and I didn't find the travel to be monotonous, which I often do in other games.

2) The story line was interesting.  Enough so to keep my attention the entire time I was playing, but still mysterious.  I haven't played any other dragon age games before so I don't know if this is a continuation or if its a new story line, but it doesn't seem to matter.  I simply played as the character with amnesia and unsure of why they are where they are without knowing if I'm good or bad.

3)  I like the creatures!  I like killing them, I like that they sorta scare me, and the variety of them.  I didn't get terribly far in the game but the wolves, the various demons, the dragons, spirits, and other humanoids were exciting.

4)  I didn't even mind the side missions or the having to gain peoples trust.  I really hated the horse track (stupid beacons), it would make since to have to provide for the people if you want the peoples trust.  The missions where interesting enough that they didn't seem laborious like in borderlands, and often fit into the story line enough that they made sense.

5) Just overall a non-stressful game.  Something to kill time and not get me amped up and frustrated but enjoy a story and some violence.

Comments

Popular Posts