I'm too old for gaming...

 


I'm too old for gaming.. and the dev's don't care.

Sad but true.  As I look back at my last 10 years of gaming, which was spent on many an alpha or beta testing, I have come to realize I'm too old for gaming.  Not too old to enjoy gaming, not to old for the old games, just too old to spend the time on games as they are now.  What do I mean.

As many of you know, I'm a fan of Destiny 2.  I participated in Destiny 1 game play and I've been a part of Destiny 2 since it's launch.  I've watched it almost fall and redeem itself and I'm watching it continue on to bigger and better things.  However with the launch of Lightfall, one thing has become painfully obvious and that is this.  The game is no longer suited for, or designed around, a casual gaming experience.  It used to be that I could hop on, play 2-3 strikes a day, and the campaign and by the end of the season have all my 100 ranks, have most of the exotics, and didn't need much more.  Now however I need to grind for 2 hours fishing, 3 strikes for one upgrade, 10 weekly missions, and buy the season pass, just to receive 1or 2 of the exotics offered in the season.  In order for me to get any exotics that aren't apart of the open world I need to spend time looking up tutorial videos and armor build videos and then grind legendary lost sectors that my character is ill-equipped to take on.  The game is great, I love it, I really do.  It's been the only game I've played for the last 3 years.  However, we are now at the point where I'm too old to spend 10-15 hours a week playing a video game.  Yes at the ripe old age of 37 I have enough responsibilities where that much time for gaming is too much.

I have brought up the idea a couple times in the past and I understand that my demographic is not where the money is for this company and this game.  I wish I could still keep up in the game though without all of the grind.  I wish the campaign and the grind were separate and that exotics (especially PvE builds) would be available outside of the Legend and Master Lost Sectors.  I don't think the Devs care though.  I'm a measly $80 a season of their income.  Their money comes from the younger generations with allowances, free time, and little responsibilities.  They can spend the money on the armor decor, and grind for that armor glow upgrade.  They can youtube builds and grind for hours on lost sectors to get the newest exotics, they can buy silver for all the other cool shit, and grind for glimmer for others.  It's not for people with full time jobs, families, and bills.  Yes I can still play the campaign, yes I can still do strikes and PvE modes and I will continue to do so until the game is done.  But do I get Necrotic grips even though they've been out for 2-3 seasons? No.  Do I get things that would make builds for legendary lost sectors easier. Also no.

This I would assume is the natural progression for many gamers.  The game Devs don't care about the casual gamer enough to try and make these things available to them, because why should they.  We are only $80 a season, when, if they cater to the player majority, they can get $200-300 a player and endless hours of game play.  I get it, I really do, it's just a sad day to say I'm the old man sitting in the back seat because he's no longer allowed to drive.

Comments

Popular Posts