Hopes for Borderlands 3


No this isn't a screenshot from the BL3 game this was a demonstration of the unreal engine used to make the BL3 game that was demoed last year or the year before.  Anyway... this will be a slightly different blog than normal as all the hype is saying Borderlands 3 or rather 4 will be announced sometime this year.  I love the Borderland games but there are a few areas where I hope they improve or leave out from their previous games.

Leave In:
1) The characters. Borderlands across the board has come up with great characters and I would like to see the recognizable with the new.  It's a major part of Borderlands and it was sad to see such limited characters in the pre-sequel.

2) Jump pads and 3D mobility.  By this I mean the ability to ascend and descend your maps. Jump or climb over mountains. Get some height and slam down on your enemies.

3) Weapon types.  I wouldn't mind seeing new weapon types but I enjoy the game play aspect of having different types of weapons that do more damage then others on specific types.

4) Variety of badies.  I love the vast number of villains in these games and I'd really like to see the diversity remain broad.  Animals, humans, aliens, soldiers, pirates, turkeys, fairies, turrets, etc.

5) The story line.  I will be extremely disappointed if they change up the story line and give you another game that doesn't further either the first or second game.  I have enjoyed the story line mostly due to the characters but again it has variety and you don't really have an overall understanding of what exactly Jack is/was after, or why the aliens seem to be recruiting vault hunters.

Leave out:
1) I would really like to see the Oz kits go away.  I liked the slam option but the constant run to get air did not add to the game and was overall annoying.

2) Extended travel between sub story missions. I've said it before but traveling across a map for 30 minutes and then having a battle that last 15 detracts from what makes this game fun.

3) Timed missions.  Does anyone like these? I hate them with a passion and honestly I skip them specifically for this reason.

4) Micro transactions.  I don't want to pay $50 for a game and only get half of it.  If you add content be sure it's free. 

5) Shift codes.  These weren't terrible but really if you want to have special weapons available at certain times add a market place for it. See more below.

Add in:
1) I would really like to see some public events similar in style to how Destiny 2 handles their public events.  Mainly because this is something I will actually play with online players instead of a vs mode or a coop mode for the campaign.

2) Add more cut scenes and make the story line more fluid.  I really hated how disjointed the story lines where and how you missed parts of the story if you failed to find the secrets. The cut scenes were like what 2-3 that actually applied to the story line. The rest where just character introductions or scenes from the 1st person perspective.  The story line really needs to progress in this next game otherwise I feel a lot of what people like about BL will be lost.

3) Multiple planets.  Now I'm not a huge fan of Destiny 2 but I really like the way they handled their maps and quick travel between points (granted for them it wasn't exactly quick).  I think BL3 could really benefit from some of these ideas.  This could add variety in the levels as well as help eliminate the long map traversal issues, as well as open up multiple vault levels.

4) Market place.  No, not for micro transactions but to replace shift codes.  Again destiny 2 for all its faults has some good ideas when it comes to using the gobs of money you get from playing the sub story paths.  This could unfortunately replace Earl, or it could expand his or Marcus's role.  Earl could sell Armour, skins, vehicles, and upgrades, where as Marcus could continue selling weapons and ammo. I just hate to sit and grind simply to find additional outfits, heads, or legendary gear. Also why do I have to go to a new station for everything? Put it all in one or 2 spots.

5)  If we are going to be in a futuristic location with high levels of technology why is the most advanced technology that any of our characters use a turret?  I would love to see AI used better as well as turrets, robots, technology support, etc.  I would also like to see the transportation follow the same level of advancement.  If spaceships and buggy helicopters are a thing, why can't I use something like that to get around the map quicker?  I know we have moon zoomies and what not but why no flying objects or flying animals that we can use to cut travel time in half? Hell you could even have Mr. Tork drop a rocket and you jump on the back and launched yourself a certain distance on the map at an extreme speed.  Comical cartoonish and convenient for the game.

6) Mobility. I really like the vertical aspects you could get out of BL-TPS, but here I'm referring to how the individuals themselves get around.  Now you are seeing wall running in various games, which could be implemented, but with various levels of gravity you can add jet packs, sling shots, robotic leg enhancements, etc and you could make these specific to different characters.  For some reason my brain jumps to Transformers but it could be a variety of different things.

So what are your thoughts?  I feel like Borderlands really has a wide open platform of areas they can improve on, or not, and still have a really fun game.

Comments

Popular Posts