Borderlands the Pre-Sequel


Pre-Sequelzzzzzzzzz


So where to start.  Things have been a bit slow on the gaming side lately. I've burned out on Titanfall 2 and Destiny 2 is fairly lame after you beat the campaign missions and I'm not overly fond of the multiplayer aspect.  So I decided that I would take a step back and play some Borderlands.  I have loved Borderlands for quite some time now and for all that love it seems that BTPS seems to get the least amount of attention.  Now the game was made a bit differently (2K Australia) so accents, jokes, verbiage, and characters where done differently.  Not to say that is bad but I feel a lot was lost in the extreme-ish difference in the first two games.

The Bad:

1) Characters seem pretty bland. Compared to Zero, Mia, Brick ,Tiny Tina, etc the characters of BTPS seem rather shallow.  Not a lot of development and not a lot of characters you tend to bond with.  The closest you get is Mr. Torque and Janie and even then its only for a mission or two. CLP-TRP is there but if you don't play as him then you are out another enjoyable character.

2) The maps are too big.  Seriously the mission should take up your time not traveling to get to the mission. You can spend 15-20 minutes traveling to get to where you need to go for different missions and that's a lot of wasted time.

3) Oz Kits.  They aren't worth the frustration.  They are supposed to add slam damage (which I like) but at the cost of having to use oxygen.  Why not leave the oxygen and just have it be  a booster pack (the way it is when you play with CLP-TRP, since he's a robot he doesn't need an oz kit).  I even like the change in gravity but the oz kits are pointless.

4) Still a fairly loose story line.  I beat this game with Nisha the first time through and the second time through I'm playing as Wilhelm.  I have intentionally skipped a number of side missions and its mainly because I'm getting board and I want to play the story line. I can sum it up, fairly quickly. Oh no bad guys! They are trying to kill us, but not quickly so take 100+ hours to play the game and side missions and don't worry about the giant laser in the sky. Yawn!

The Good:

1) Again and as always this game meets all the criteria for being one of my favorites.  Various enemies, various weapons, character customization, beautifully crafted, and interesting characters.  The story line is flat but fills in the empty space between BL 1 & 2.  

2) I like the various vehicles more so than BL2.  Having a moonzoomie and a hover car means the difference in the vehicle actually matters.

3) I like the movement system and the no gravity aspect of the game as it adds the ability to cause slam damage and transitions the maps to being mostly 2 dimensional (meaning forward, backward, and side to side) to 3 dimensional adding up and down options to where your character may have to go in order to achieve the directive.

4) This is a good game to sit back and chill with.  If you want to relax play some side missions, if you want a bit more action follow the story line.  Without going into all the things I liked about the previous borderland games, this has pretty much all of those items, and it is a lot of fun.


Comments

Popular Posts