Halo 2 Re- Mastered!



Halo 2 Re - Mastered!


I will admit that it had been a long time since I had played Halo 2.  So I didn't really know what to expect from the remastered MC edition.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was in fact AWESOME and probably the best Halo game to date.  I really think that the new Halo 5 could have, and should have borrowed more from Halo two and fleshed out their story better.  I am also only playing the campaigns here, again I don't really like the MP world for the Halo games.  So without further commentary.  My good and bad.

The Bad

1) Surprisingly sexist?  Lines like I know what the ladies like etc. took me off guard.  Like a lot.  My wife was watching just here and there and every time Jackson or Johnson whatever his name is talked I cringed because most of what came out of his mouth was offensive/sexist.

2) Some minor glitches spinning tops, levels not ending, suddenly flying off a bridge for no reason.  All black cut scene beginnings. Minor issues really.

3) Some of the villains seemed a bit OP compared to the main character.  Bruts could take 3 shots to the head with a sniper rifle before being downed and an entire clip could be emptied into the flood and they would still be coming at you.  There were parts where you would have to wait for the group in front of you to have a long drawn out AI battle and then go in and clean up the remaining forces, which took forever.

4) The flood got old really fast.  You can't kill them quickly unless you have a few specific weapons, the little spider ones could re-infect already downed bodies, and they didn't seem to drop weapons very often so I was always scrambling for something to shoot them with.  When I did find one it was usually not very effective and I seemed to spend a lot of time just running through the maps instead of conquering the map.

5)  The big "boss" fights seemed really strange.  Like the fight wasn't anything out of the ordinary but you never really know if they were taking damage or not, and the end of the fight was really anticlimactic.  Just like op i guess he fell over.

The Good

1) By far my favorite Halo game to date.  It had moments of terror when you are in a dark area and you are fighting the flood, you are basically running on panic mode and when one jumps out at you its a scramble.

2) The story line made sense.  That's right, you knew what your objectives were, who the bad guys where, you knew why you were doing what you were doing, and it had more than one perspective which was phenomenal.

3) Playing as Arbiter.  Playing as Arbiter was probably my favorite aspect of this game. The maps that you played as him were beautiful, you had cloaking, light swords, and you often had other covenant forces backing you up.  Seriously, having hunters in your arsenal was extremely fun and something I've always wanted to have on my team.  As Arbiter you even got your first chance to play with the sentinel lazers which would tear the flood apart (a long with the light sword), and as Arbiter the Flood was just fun brutal violence.  Having Arbiter's story line included I felt made the game have more weight and far more interesting.  They tried to use this some in Halo 5 switching between 117 and Loch but the transition was flawed and with a very loose story line failed miserably.


4) The updated graphics and sounds made this game BETTER than Halo 5.  The ability to dual wield weapons, amazing graphics, various map types, updated cut scenes, a variety of characters and species blows Halo 5 out of the water.  I mean look at what species you have in 5.  Convenient, humans, forerunners, sort of AI.  Halo 2? Humans, Flood, Convenient, Prophets, Bruts, and Sentinels.  What happened to the Bruts and Flood in Halo 5?  What happened to the Brut hammer, shrapnel grenades, whatever their orange spike gun was called?  I would think that a flood type creature that could infect the forerunners would be a good addition to the game, and maybe that's where they are going.  Who knows?

5) Longer missions and less repeated map floors.  If that even makes sense.  I repeated map floors that i'm speaking of is for example in halo 1, all platforms between structures look the same, all flood infected buildings have the same floor plan and look.  Here you had similar floor plans but only in the same building (holding cells in the convenient ship).  Maps outside were unique and different.  Halo 5 and Halo 6 could take some notes from Halo 2 remastered.

So there you have it.  Let me know what you think!  I am nervous to play Halo 3 now, as it is not remastered but simply made for xbox 1 so I'm imagining it to be pretty bad.  The next blog will cover Titan Fall 2 Tech Test Week 2 so check back soon!

Comments

Popular Posts