Live Fire


TitanFall 2 Live Fire Mode:

Needless to say I was excited for Live Fire to come out, and I was not disappointed... at least for the first 15 games.  However after that things got a little... well just check it out.

The Bad:
1) Repetitive - 2 maps were not enough for this game mode.  If there are only 2 maps then perhaps mix the maps with each other for the various rounds.  To much of the maps means your strategies stay relatively the same.  Same routes, same campers, same everything.  The only thing that changes is at half time you change sides.  9 times out of 10 you can go the same pathways and meet the same people and have the same outcomes.

2) Balance - Good god does it need balanced.  I'm currently a Gen 6.  There is no reason why I should be placed with a bunch of Gen 1/2 pilots and be able to get an ACE.  I'm not that good.  Also I don't want to be placed with a group who has 4 or 5 people in a group (meaning playing together), or a group of people that all have mics.  If I'm playing mic-less I want those i'm playing against to also be mic-less.  Especially this game mode.  It's to easy to say "hey they are always coming through the walk way lets all go over there", or "don't all camp in the hut. One grenade and we all die".

3) It was very exciting for the first couple of games, but with few routes and limited maps my biggest entertainment for this game was switching up my weapons.  Turns out the EPG in some circumstances can do some amazing damage to campers.  However I got really board after the first 15 matches.  I liked the bonus xp because without it, when I got steamrolled by a team, I only got credit for finishing the game (1 credit x 2 with the extra xp weekend).  The extra XP made the game mode worth playing when you win, but it doesn't help much when leveling up a player.

4) Losers - You are always going to have the people that just let their system run on double xp days and let their pilot level up.  You can tell who they are because their character is sitting in the middle of the map not doing anything, easy kill.  What I hate, is when you are playing a match and you lose maybe your first match and maybe your second and people bail on you.  I get that if you are only going to get one credit for playing why stay, but come on!  Make the penalty for leaving higher or make staying in a losing battle worth staying.

5) Lack of items in the map - During all of these matches I was constantly wanting something that could help turn the tide of the match.  Maybe in the 2nd and 4th rounds perhaps a special burn card could appear in the middle of the map that allows an automatic boost availability or something like that.  If I'm on a team getting steamrolled a little hope part way through the game might keep the losers from leaving.  Anything to help turn the tide, even a dodge ball style game where you capture the flag a downed teammate can return to the game situation.

The Good:
1) The Flag - The flag is a great option.  There were multiple times where I or a teammate were the last remaining pilot and we were able to capture the flag and win the game.  There is some strategy in how you approach and when you take the flag.  I had multiple teams come up with some brilliant ideas.  My favorite was a stemmed pilot would run out grab the flag and run around a corner where his teammates would be waiting to ambush anyone chasing him.  The flag gives a small amount of hope to those waiting for the match to end.

2) It is fun.  I'm bitching a lot about my frustration, but really it is fun and if you have a decent team and you go a full 9 rounds it's intense.  I've had some of my best kill counts in Life Fire so don't count it out.

3) Strategy - Again if you have a good team everyone is trying different strategies to overcome the group in front of them.  Changing sides part way through helps, as it forces strategies to change.  Even weapon changes become important.  The team keeps coming through the tunnel, maybe wall hang and satchel charges will be a better option then arc grenades and silent jets.

4) At this point I'm really struggling to come up with other positives... At least its quick?  It feel like the maps could be used for other game modes and that they could really be fun.  Free for all or PvP, hell even hard point would be a pretty intense option.

5) Ummm... Vertical ability?  You can get some pretty impressive heights on Stacks which can give you a nice tactical advantage.  Definitely not a good mode for those not so experienced in the mobility system though.

For a game mode like this its really hard to find the positives until the mode has been fully developed.  Meaning, I'm sure they will come out with more maps for it, maybe upgrades, etc.  I'm willing to keep giving it a try, but as of now I'm kind of done playing it.  I may added it to my mix tape though.  I am digging that new feature.  Still haven't played the new Colosseum though, I hear the softball is irritating.


Comments

Popular Posts